Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- “ It smashes, it bashes and it always ends up in the gears of enemies. ”
- ―RatchetandClank.com's description of Ratchet's wrench.
The wrench was a tool that was often used as a melee weapon. Different wrenches were produced by various companies including Gadgetron. Vox Industries also provided upgrades for the Gadgetron OmniWrench 8000 for their DreadZone combat holo-vision show. Wrenches were commonly used as a mechanic's tool for turning bolt cranks and repairing vehicles. As newer versions of the wrench were released, illegal modifications such as the kinetic tether, were created.
Use by the Lombaxes
The wrench seemed to have been a weapon commonly used by the Lombaxes, and only members of Lombax Praetorian Guard group, which Alister Azimuth himself was member of, used a Praetorian OmniWrench (Double-ended wrench) . Ratchet used the OmniWrench 8000 when he was a mechanic on Veldin. He was so attached to his wrench that he even slept with it. When he left the planet with Clank, he brought it with him and started using it as a weapon; since then he always had a wrench with him. Ratchet used many different types of wrenches during his adventures, including the Versa-Wrench Striker,OmniWrench 10K and OmniWrench Millennium 12.
When Ratchet and Clank set off to stop Drek from destroying planets for his new world, he brought his OmniWrench 8000 with him and used it as a weapon. He also used it to get into new areas by turning bolt cranks and going down ziplines.
Bogon galaxyRatchet found wrenches in galaxies without Gadgetron's presence, such as the Bogon galaxy. Ratchet initially carried his OmniWrench 8000, although during his time in the Bogon galaxy he replaced it with more powerful wrenches that he came across. These were the OmniWrench 10000 on Tabora and then the OmniWrench 12000 on Aranos at the Flying Lab, where they were prisoned.
Return to Solana
Ratchet continued to use the OmniWrench 12000 after he returned to Solana. The Wrench's power, while initially weaker than it was in the Bogon Galaxy, was upgraded as Ratchet's maximumNanotech level increased. The power of the wrench was shown visually by the "air swipe" effect when performing a Multi-strike, and when the highest maximumNanotech level was earned in the game (200 nanotech), it was shown by the Hyper-strike as well.
In addition to this, the Wrench could be temporarily enhanced further by destroying Infernox Crates, activated the Infernox wrench effect, which 1-hit KO'd any non-boss enemy it touched, setting fire to them in the process. The Infernox wrench effect was disabled when a boss battle began.
The Shadow Sector
In the Shadow Sector Ratchet acquired a series of new, progressively stronger upgrades for his OmniWrench 12000 thanks to Vox Industries's DreadZone vendors. These were the Versa-Wrench Lite, Versa-Wrench Multicore, Versa-Wrench Striker, Fission Lance and Obsidian Blade. Ratchet then acquired further upgraded versions of the Obsidian Blade as he continued to compete in DreadZone.
Search for Clank
While separated from Clank, he replaced it with the OmniWrench Millennium 12. Ratchet also added an illegal kinetic tether mod to this wrench. This was used for grabbing objects that were out of reach.
Ratchet also indeed used this wrench in his adventure to find Clank and defeat Nefarious once again in A Crack in Time. The wrench worked different to how it did in Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty; however, as now it was able to take things out (pulling out objects) rather than move them. He can also not move around when using the Kinetic tether.
Ratchet & Clank comic series
Ratchet continued to use his OmniWrench Millenium 12 in the Ratchet & Clank comic series until the escape from Artemis Zogg's ship at the end of Issue 4: Thanks for the Armories. Alister Azimuth's Praetorian OmniWrench was also seen bolted to the wall of Ratchet's garage, and was later used as Ratchet's main weapon. Ratchet also used it to open the portal to Dimension A2-66, where Artemis Zogg was sent at the end.
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 OneTwo years after saving the Great Clock, Ratchet continued to use his OmniWrench Millenium 12. However, he never used the kinetic tether attachment for his wrench.
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
During the Nether crisis, Ratchet continued to use the OmniWrench Millennium 12. Like before, he does not use the kientic tether attachment.
Ratchet acquired an OmniWrench 10K that could be upgraded using Wrench Mods. By upgrading it in this way it could gain new abilities that harmed enemies in different ways. He used this wrench when he encountered the Technomites.
PlayStation Move Heroes
Ratchet also uses the Omniwrench 3000 in PlayStation Move Heroes, the reason for this is probably because all of the Ratchet & Clank things in the game were based on their appearance in Tools of Destruction, there was also an exploding OmniWrench.
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet uses the OmniWrench Millennium 12 as a melee weapon. His abilities with it are the hyper strike, the multi strike and the comet strike.
Wrenches could be used for a variety of tasks. As a tool they could be used to tighten bolts and help in the repair of vehicles. With a box breaker, a hyper-strike with a wrench would break any nearby breakables. A comet-strike could be used to destroy explosive crates from a safe distance. They could also be used to turn Bolt Cranks and, as they were magnetized; they could be used to collect bolts from afar. As a weapon, wrenches were used to strike enemies with. This was handy if the user had run out of ammo in their other weapons. The Omni-Wrench Millennium 12 could be used to pick up items such as Lava Rocks. Wrenches could also be used to travel down zip lines.
With various mods they could also complete a variety of other tasks. The kinetic tether allowed objects to be manipulated from a distance and spring-like pads to be loaded. The OmniWrench 10K had a variety of mods that could be equipped to give the wrench different abilities including giving out acidic sludge and freezing enemies.
Performing certain moves with a wrench allowed different amounts of damage to be dealt. A hyper-strike involved jumping up in the air and slamming the wrench back down; this dealt twice as much damage as a regular strike. A multi-strike was a combination of three regular strikes; it gave out double damage on the final strike. A comet-strike allowed the user to attack enemies with wrench from afar; this also allowed several enemies to be easily hit with one strike.
Types of wrenches
- Mackerel 1000 (cut content)
- OmniWrench 8000
- OmniWrench 10000 or OmniWrench 8000 V2
- OmniWrench 12000 or OmniWrench 8000 V3
- Combat bot wrench
- OmniWrench 10K
- OmniWrench 3000
- Exploding OmniWrench
- OmniWrench Millennium 12
- Praetorian OmniWrench
- Despite being Rachet's signature weapon with him holding it most cutscenes and promo's the Wrench is used very little in game play due to the lack of upgrades therefor in most games in the series.
- The names of the two wrench upgrades in Going Commando were never explicitly stated in the game; however, the official Going Commando strategy guide referred to them as the OmniWrench 10000 and OmniWrench 12000. In Up Your Arsenal Ratchet used the second wrench upgrade and it was called the OmniWrench 8000 in the Help Menu, which suggests that the wrenches were newer versions of the original OmniWrench 8000.
- Confusingly, although Ratchet's wrench in Size Matters was called the OmniWrench 10K (having the same name as the OmniWrench 10000), it resembled his standard OmniWrench 8000 from the first game.
- Strangely, if you had the Tuxedo Ratchet skin on (and/or entered Challenge Mode) and you got the Omniwrench 12000, it wouldn't show. It would look like you still had the Omniwrench 10000.
- The dual laser saber was a visual replacement for the wrench in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. It was obtainable through the use of a cheat code.
- The fire laser sword also appeared in Deadlocked when the cheat called 'Ninja Ratchet' was used.
- Inflatable Wrenches were given away at Comic-Con 2009.
- The OmniWrench Millenium 12 also appears as an Unlockable in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, as a replacement for Sly's cane, turning the coins that Sly collected into bolts and gears from Ratchet & Clank.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile
- Ratchet: Deadlocked
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
- Secret Agent Clank
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 1: Ears of War
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 2: Friends with Benefits
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 3: Lost and Spaced
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 4: Thanks for the Armories
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 5: Multiple Organisms
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 6: Bros Before Foes
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
- Ratchet & Clank (movie)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Both Ratchet and Alister Azimuth used a wrench.
- ↑ Many different types with damaging abilities, such as Obsidian Blade - radioactive.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ratchet & Clank instruction booklet
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal instruction booklet.
- ↑ Ratchet: Deadlocked - Fission Lance bought from a DreadZone vendor.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando Strategy Guide.
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal Help Menu.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Ratchet: Deadlocked - DreadZone vendors listed the name when each weapon was for sale.
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters - in-game help menu, in moves help, any wrench moved like the hyper-strike.
- ↑ Secret Agent Clank - in-game help menu, moves help section, wrench move's description such as the hyper-strike.
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction instruction manual.
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty instruction manual
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty in-game inventory
- ↑ Video:Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Teaser Trailer - 0:57 in.