The Swingshot was a gadget used to latch onto and swing from various types of versa-targets. It was received by completing Qwark's fitness course on planet Kerwan and paying Helga von Streissenburgen—only known as "Qwark's fitness trainer" in the game—one-thousand bolts. The wire allowed its user to swing from versa-targets, hence its name. A later version of the Swingshot used a holographic projector to latch onto versa-targets which was seen first in the Hypershot. Its name is a play on "slingshot."
A metallic device that fits around the user's wrist ,and later on a glove,that later contains a holographic versa-chord projector and earlier contained a large amount of rolled up metallic wire. May also include a laserscopic targeting system, and auto adjusting strap. From the game Ratchet & Clank:Up Your Arsenal the Swingshot had a new feature for auto-equip.
Ratchet & Clank in-game
When equipped the Gadgetron Swingshot allows users to use Versa-Targets to reach new areas. Versa-Targets come in two varieties: green targets are for grappling and pulling, while yellow targets are used for swinging back and forth, and in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, a blue target represented a target that could be pulled towards the user.
Caution: to prevent injury, do not release circle until you are in range of your destination.
Evolution through the Ratchet & Clank seriesThe Swingshot changed over the course of the games in the Ratchet & Clank series. In Going Commando, it gained the ability to use winch targets. In Up Your Arsenal, the Hypershot was introduced, a combination of the Swingshot and the Dynamo which used an energy grapple instead of a titanium wire. From Tools of Destruction onward, the Swingshot used an energy grapple and would automatically be equipped if Ratchet jumped towards a versa target, like the Hypershot. In All 4 One a new feature was added to the Swingshot, the Hookshot, which pulls yourself towards another team member in order to cross gaps or escape dangerous situations.
Swingshot Type Gadgets
- Ratchet & Clank and Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando are the only games which did not feature the auto-equip function of the Swingshot.
- Unlike the original game, in the re-imagined movie and game Ratchet already owns a swingshot.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (though called the hypershot)
- Ratchet: Deadlocked
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
- Ratchet & Clank (movie)