Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- “ We, like many planets, will always be grateful to you and your service! ”
- ―The Chancellor of Calzon in a transmission to Captain Starshield.
Captain Starshield was an intergalactic hero born in Metropolis, Kerwan. He saved several galaxies, and many planets before being lured into the Shadow Sector by a phantom distress signal where he was forced to compete in the illegal combat sport DreadZone.
In DreadZone, Starshield quickly became the number one ranking contestant. In his first day, he wiped out a years' production of DZ Strikers, and reached the rank of Vindicator within one week. After two weeks he had broken many records and other contestants refused to face him, except for Ace Hardlight who shot him in the back with a Quantum-Demoleculizer.
Starshield first operated as Private Starshield, where he had the shiniest toilets in his unit, showing his potential from an early start.
According to a Vox News update about Captain Starshield's origins he had saved many galaxies. In galactic date G2.16.918 he saved the Solana Galaxy from a robot ghost pirate invasion. In G2.14.173 he saved the Bogon Galaxy from a pan-galactic Amoeboid mafia ring. He also saved the Thyrullian Galaxy on two separate occasions from ravenous space locusts.
Citizen of the Millennium
Baron Masseter and planet Calzon
- “ The Baron Masseter should never bother you people agai-- ”
- ―Captain Starshield's ship malfunctions after saving planet Calzon.
Captain Starshield destroyed Baron Masseter's ship saving the planet Calzon. The Chancellor of Calzon then made a transmission to Captain Starshield to express his gratitude, Starshield insisted he was doing his duty and explained that the Baron Masseter would no longer bother the people of Calzon but was cut off by a cracking sound at the back of his ship. The ship informed him that there was a critical malfunction with a Nav-Grid error and Hyperdrive malfunction.
The Hyperdrive malfunction sent him to the Kavorian Galaxy where he switched to manual overrides and managed to crash the ship on top of a ledge on planet Fractis, avoiding injury but leaving his ship damaged.
Survival on Fractis
- “ But where there's Kragmites… There's… Cantors! ”
- ―A Cantor attacks Captain Starshield.
Left with no option but to jump out of his ship and down from the ledge he soon encountered several Kragmites. Instead of engaging with them he immediately recognized the more dangerous threat of a nearby Cantor when the Kragmites ran off. The Cantor sent Starshield flying through the air after emerging from the ground. Landing safely on the ground Starshield fired his blaster at the Cantor which had little effect. Dodging an attack by the Cantor, Starshield lured it under the ledge where his ship was still perched and fired his blaster at the ledge. The ledge collapsed onto the Cantor, killing it and allowing Starshield to reach his ship.
Leaving for the Shadow Sector
- “ Incoming distress signal. Location: The Shadow Sector. ”
- ―Captain Starshield's ship.
After the combat Starshield's ship had finished running its repairs ensuring all systems were functional. The ship then informed Starshield of a distress signal from the Shadow Sector. Unsure of the Shadow Sector, Starshield told his ship to set a course as he left the planet.
After entering the Shadow Sector Captain Starshield went missing along with several other heroes of Metropolis. He had actually been tricked into following a phantom distress signal. A Vox News pdate suggested Sasha Phyronix may have been involved in an attempt to hide how Starshield had been forced to take part in DreadZone, an illegal combat sport run by Vox Industries.
- “ This guy is setting records faster than a Tyllurian lava beast devour spleens! ”
- ―Dallas during a Sports News update about Captain Starshield.
Captain Starshield quickly established himself as a powerful competitor, setting records at a fast pace. During his first day Starshield defeated a year's worth of DZ Strikers. After one week in DreadZone combat Starshield had reached the rank of Vindicator and this success caused the DreadZone construction team to increase their efforts to build a challenging BattleCourse for him. His reputation at DreadZone scared commentator Dallas Wanamaker and even the Exterminator team were afraid of facing him.
Combat with Ace Hardlight and death
- “ A dramatic conclusion to one of the most exciting episodes of Dreadzone I have ever seen. Captain Starshield, the #1 contestant, has been eliminated by Ace Hardlight. Ace has now eliminated a record thirteen contestants in one season. ”
- ―Dallas Wanamaker providing commentary after the death of Captain Starshield. [Deadlocked]
A month after his disappearance and after two weeks of competing in the competition Starshield beat all DreadZone records and topped the DreadZone leader board with 234,400 Dreadpoints. The Exterminators refused to fight Starshield except for undefeated Exterminator champion Ace Hardlight who set up a life-or-death battle with him.
Captain Starshield's death was a shock to many including Big Al, Ratchet and Clank. Ace Hardlight took Starshield's position in the DreadZone leaderboard leaving the deceased Starshield's rank as second place until Ratchet later surpassed both of them before rescuing many of the heroes and destroying the DreadZone Station, ending the competition.
- “ My pleasure Chancellor, just doing my duty. ”
- ―Captain Starshield after saving planet Calzon.
Captain Starshield was devoted to helping those in need as a super hero across many galaxies. After standing out as Private Starshield it did not take him long to progress and he became a famous intergalactic hero as Captain Starshield. Despite this fame he continued to help those in need and as such was extremely popular, especially in Metropolis.
Skills and abilities
Captain Starshield was extremely proficient in combat and was able to break many records in combat at DreadZone including destroying a year's worth of DZ Strikers in just one day. He used several weapons including two separate blasters. He also favored a Versa-Wrench Striker.
Behind the scenes
Phil Morris was the voice actor for Starshield. Insomniac Games released an online comic about Starshield on their website in six episodes leading up to the release of Ratchet: Deadlocked. Permission was later gained to display the web-comic on the Ratchet & Clank wiki after they were removed.
Released Ratchet: Deadlocked concept art for Captain Starshield shows very little changes between the released concept and the final version of Starshield with only some major changes to his weapon.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 News update: 17 OCT 2005 - [[wikipedia:Insomniac Games|]]'s website (backup at web archive)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606862/
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ratchet: Deadlocked Starshield skin description.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 2
- ↑ The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 3
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 4
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 5
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 The Adventures of Captain Starshield episode 6
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 Ratchet: Deadlocked
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 News update: Current, 2005 - [[wikipedia:Insomniac Games|]]'s website (backup at web archive)
- ↑ Ratchet: Deadlocked Versa-Wrench Striker description
- ↑ [[wikipedia:Insomniac Games|]] website (backup link at web archive)
- ↑ Ratchet: Deadlocked concept art under the extras menu.