- “ The Spiral of Death is the latest addition to GrummelNet's line of energy-based weapons. Originally designed by the Fongoids, this baby unleashes a kinetic spiral of energy at your enemies. Just get them in your sights and let her rip. The spiral will take out your enemy, and then nail them again on the return trip! The Spiral of Death! Available only at GrummelNet ”
- ―GrummelNet's description [ACiT]
The Spiral of Death is a weapon manufactured by Grummel Net Industries and designed by the Fongoids in A Crack in Time. It charges up kinetic energy into a spiral which it fires at enemies, that will curve back towards the weapon after firing allowing it to hit enemies again on its return run.
The Spiral of Death is obtained upon completing the Silver Cup in the Battleplex Arena. It can be upgraded to the Spiral of Carnage, which features three spirals at once, with use. In challenge mode, the Omega Spiral of Carnage can be purchased for 278,000 bolts.
The Spiral of Death is a blue rifle held in two hands. It features a bright spinning blade - the spiral - on the end. When firing, the spiral moves slowly through the air, targeting enemies on its path forward and its return run back towards the weapon.
The Spiral of Carnage is purple instead of blue, and holds three spirals rather than one.
The Spiral of Death will fly towards enemies and hit them on its fun run, and then aim to hit enemies again on its return run towards the weapon. It has relatively low ammunition and a medium rate of fire, but can deal a great amount of damage. The weapon is best used against medium to large enemies due to the damage it deals and its ammunition, and involves some skill in maximising efficiency with the weapon, as the player should fire it to damage as many enemies as possible. While the weapon is still effective against smaller enemies, its ammunition is often wasted on them unless the player hits a large number at once.
The Spiral of Carnage fires three spirals instead of one. This gives it a lower rate of fire, but much more damage. Much like the basic Spiral of Death, the Spiral of Carnage is best used against large enemies or groups of medium-sized enemies, which will make the most out of its ammunition and the damage it can deal. As it contains three spirals rather than one, it is often more likely to hit larger groups of enemies on both runs.
Behind the scenes
The Spiral of Death was the winning weapon design by a Ratchet & Clank fan in the Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time weapon contest. It was one of the five finalists given to the public to vote on for a chance to appear in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. It was revealed at Comic-Con that the Spiral of Death would be in A Crack in Time. The Spiral of Death was created by Jackson Finley, and while the concept is the same, it differs from the original artwork submitted. Jackson Finley still owns the Spiral of Death, rather than Sony.
The weapon later made an appearance in the Ratchet & Clank movie.
- ↑ http://kotaku.com/5320918/and-the-ratchet--clank-weapon-contest-winner-is
- ↑ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/17/vote-now-insomniacs-ratchet-clank-future-weapon-contest-is-on/
- ↑ http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/ratchet-clank-future-crack-in-time-spiral-of-death-weapon-big.jpg
- ↑ Insomniac Live - Ratchet & Clank YouTube. Retrieved February 22, 2018.