- “ Seriously? After all the black market merchandise I've sold you… What do you think I'm doing here? ”
- ―Slim Cognito to Ratchet, while in prison. [SAC]
Slim Cognito was a mysterious arms dealer from the Bogon Galaxy. He was never seen in person, and the only part of his body shown is his eyes. He initially specialized in "legally ambiguous ship upgrades and weapon modifications. At first, he only traded in Raritanium for ship upgrades, and Platinum bolts for weapon modifications, although he later accepted regular bolts for weapon mods. He owned a small establishment called Slim Cognito's Ship Shack, where he upgraded ships "quickly, cheaply, and most importantly, quietly," and was able to sell weapon mods from the back of his ship on certain planets. During their time in the Bogon Galaxy, Slim Cognito served Ratchet and Clank.
Sometime within the year; however, Slim was forced to escape the law after "accidentally" selling a Suck Cannon upgrade to a minor, swearing that the kid looked 18, which Clank did not believe. This could possibly have been a sexual innuendo due to the Suck Cannon's name.
Slim fled to the Solana Galaxy and hid in a pipe near Nefarious's Deep Sea Hideout on Aquatos. Here, he once again met Ratchet, and sold him black-market versions of MegaCorp weapons that he had smuggled from the Bogon Galaxy, for a profit of millions of bolts, which he most likely achieved.
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
In Going Commando, Slim was first seen in Megapolis on planet Endako and did not appear in Ratchet & Clank. On planet Boldan and also Tabora he had his own ship where he sold weapon mods. It could be called using a red button with yellow triangular background ascending from the ground. He also had his own ship vendor in the Bogon Galaxy named Slim Cognito's Ship Shack where he sold ship upgrades in exchange for Raritanium.
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
In Up Your Arsenal, Slim was on planet Aquatos selling certain MegaCorp weapons from the previous game. He came to Solana since he mistakenly sold a Suck Cannon upgrade to a minor whom he swore looked 18 (which might be a sexual innuendo). If you had a save file from Going Commando, Slim would give you a set of free weapons from Ratchet's previous adventures as long as you had purchased them in Going Commando. The weapons consisted of the Bouncer, Plasma Coil, Shield Charger, Lava Gun and Miniturret Glove. If the system has save data of Going Commando with any of the weapons Slim is selling purchased, the player can buy them for 0 bolts.
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
In Secret Agent Clank, he was in the same prison as Ratchet because of the black market merchandise he sold to him in previous games. He was willing to give Ratchet a code to the casino case which Clank needed to get into the High-Stakes Room (of which Slim used to play in every week) if he defended Slim from some of his old customers that claimed he sold lousy merchandise to them.
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
In Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, it was revealed that Slim was incarcerated in Zordoom Prison on Viceron. He was sent there for showing his class B Gravity Cannon to a group of female Tumfoids during a rock concert in Meridian City.
Behind the scenes
- His name refers to the word "incognito," which means to have one's true identity concealed.
- According to removed audio files in Up Your Arsenal, he worked alongside Thugs-4-Less.
- Strangely enough, in all the other games he has been in, Slim has had white eyes with black pupils and no irises, but in Secret Agent Clank, he had purple irises. Why this change was made is unknown.
- In removed audio files in Going Commando, he often booked manicure appointments.
- While his species is never shown in the original series, the re-imagining shows that he is Rilgarian.
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (re-imagined Slim Cognito)