- “ Ratchet: Hey, what are you doing here?
Fred: I'm searching for a very elusive and secret substance.
Fred: Umm… maybe. ”
- ―Ratchet and Clank, meeting Fred on Pokitaru [R&C]
Planets and locations containing Raritanium
Ratchet & Clank
In Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet and Clank could obtain Raritanium from a driller on planet Hoven and trade it with Fred for the Persuader in the sewers of planet Pokitaru. It was said to be an excellent source of the substance until the Blarg began dumping their toxic waste into its oceans.
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
In Going Commando, Raritanium could be drilled up in deserts and arctic plains using a special driller machine, or could be acquired throughout the course of space battles. It was used to purchase ship upgrades at Slim Cognito's Ship Shack.
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Some of the Wrench upgrades involved Raritanium. Also, the course on Orxon was a Raritanium mining field.
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
In Tools of Destruction, Raritanium could be used to upgrade weapons. Curiously, some weapons could be upgraded to increase the amount of Raritanium that enemies killed with the weapon dropped. In addition, the Golden Groovitron could be purchased for 2,000,000 Raritanium in Challenge Mode at the Device Vendor in the Cobalia Spaceport and IRIS that they were using sisterboards with a Raritanium vector shell. Terraflux Armor was also plated with raritanium.
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
In A Crack in Time, Alister Azimuth mentioned that there was once a Raritanium mine on Planet Lumos. This was also mentioned in the Great Clock and IRIS that they were using sisterboards with a Raritanium vector shell.In addition the Second tournament at the Agorian Battleplex is called "Raritanium Cup."
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
In Into the Nexus, Raritanium functioned similar to Tools of Destruction, as it was once again used to upgrade weapons. In the Intergalactic Museum of History on Igliak, they were going to have a Raritanium Wing, but had a lack of funding.
Ratchet & Clank comic series
In Ratchet & Clank: Issue 5: Multiple Organisms, Ratchet and Clank were hiding from one of Zogg's warbots beneath a hatch. The warbot was quickly drilling through the hatch, when Ratchet asked how long the hatch would stay. Clank mentioned the hatch was made of pure Raritanium, but doubted it would last any longer than a few minutes.
- According to cut Going Commando audio files, the original name of Raritanium was simply "Ore," however, this was likely a placeholder name.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (mentioned only)
- Ratchet: Deadlocked
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (re-imagined Raritanium)
- Ratchet & Clank (movie) (re-imagined Raritanium)
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus game manual