Pokitaru was a very small tropical world filled with oceans and islands. It was home to the Jowai Resort. At a time, it was one of the most popular getaway spots in the galaxy. However, since the Blarg began dumping their toxic waste in the oceans, the sea life became ravenous mutants and the resort neared the verge of shutting down. Many tourists either were forced to flee as a result, or became fish and chips. Fortunately, Ratchet and Clank stopped this pollution and the resort eventually reopened. The planet was also a great source for the element Raritanium, but it became impossible to find thanks to the Blarg's pollution. The former hero Qwark tried to hide there during his Personal Hygienator Syndrome scandal, although he was found and arrested. It resembled many of Earth's tropical islands.
Ratchet and Clank visited the planet in Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters for a vacation.
Pokitaru had a tropical climate with warm sunny weather year round. In the Infobot found in Ratchet & Clank, the resort owner mentioned that the planet has sunshine 24 hours a day (which may be true, if the length of the day is over 24 hours long).
The Jowai Resort was a popular vacation location on planet Pokitaru. However, since the Blarg began dumping their toxic waste into the ocean, many of the tourists were eaten, and those lucky enough to avoid this fate fled. The Resort was on the brink of closure when Ratchet and Clank arrived. They agreed to destroy the enemy Blarg forces in exchange for the Resort's last O2 Mask, which the Resort regularly sold for free prior to the Blarg's arrival. Ratchet destroyed all of the toxic dumping ships using the Resort's private security starfighter, halting the mutations of the local wildlife. However, much damage had been done to the local ecosystem. The Resort suffered from a lack of business for a while, but it is presumably back in business. Bob's Roboshack was also situated here.
Characters on Pokitaru
Ratchet & Clank
- Puffer Fish: Puffer Fish were bouncing fish with sharp needles all over their bodies. They apparently were not originally aggressive, but thanks to the toxic sludge that polluted the waters, their mutated forms attacked anything that moved. They are only fought on land, where they would attempt to attack Ratchet using their needles. Puffer fish were not very powerful, and only took two Wrench strikes to be defeated. While most were small, one was huge enough to swallow a swimmer in one gulp.
- Psytopus: These squidlike monsters were found throughout the sandy shores of Pokitaru. These to were once mild sea creatures, but the sludge in the oceans have made them extremely territorial. If they noticed Ratchet, they created a powerful energy bomb using their minds. These attacks were very accurate, and the creatures were very powerful; a single Wrench hit was not enough to defeat them. Psytopuses would not respawn if killed. Some were so intelligent that they could talk and use gadgets, as seen in a clip for a reality dating show in Ratchet: Deadlocked. Fought in Ratchet & Clank.
- Hydra: A large seafaring predator native to Pokitaru with four flippers and three heads, the Hydra was no laughing matter. The Hydra was cut from Ratchet & Clank and was never able to be fought. It could be seen in the Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando Insominac Museum on planet Burbank.
- Scuttle Crab: Scuttle crabs were medium-sized, blue, one-eyed crabs found on the beaches and forest floors of Pokitaru. Like the other creatures, the scuttle crabs have grown in size due to the Blargs' waste dumping. They attacked in groups using their large pincers, but each could be easily dispatched with a single wrench swing.
- Pokitaru Pool Shark: Pool Sharks thrived in deep waters of Pokitaru, eating foolish swimmers vactioning on Pokitaru. They only attacked if Ratchet enters the water for a few moments, and could not be fought or killed.
- Vacationing Robots: These robots were rusty and old, and could attack Ratchet with slow uppercuts. They could be easily killed with three wrench hits.
- Pokitaru Seagull: A harmless sea bird with seagull- and duck-like features, the Pokitaru seagull could be found flying around the planet.
- Blarg Saucer.
- Vacationing Robots
- Guard Torsos
- Technomites (inside Luna's and guard torso's heads).
Behind the scenes
Differences between visits
In the original Ratchet & Clank, Jowai Resort had no Scuttle Crabs or Robot Tourists, but instead Puffer Fish, Psytopi and Amoeboids (in the sewers only) and had fresh water that was fully explorable unless one went too far out (at which point they were presumably eaten). However, in Size Matters, the water was not explorable and was filled with sharks. Scuttle Crabs and Robot Tourists replaced the Puffer Fish and Psytopi and Ratchet had no access to the sewers, though this may have been because the Blarg stopped dumping toxic waste which would have returned the waters back to normal. Either way, the land areas that were explorable have obviously changed in size, explorability and appearance.
- Oddly enough, Pokitaru resembles Kalebo III in Size Matters.
- In Size Matters, the player could shoot down seagulls by aiming with the first person mode. The hit seagull would make a squawking sound and fall in the sea.
- Pokitaru is much like Hawaii, both have tropical temperatures, both have many tourists visiting, and both have Islands.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (re-imagined Pokitaru)