The Kerchu were small and furry orange creatures that were native to planet Jasindu. They were considered the second most foul and ill tempered creatures in the Polaris Galaxy, second only to the Cragmites. The Kerchu were also some the galaxy's greatest architects. This building prowess, along with their large teeth, gave the Kerchu a resemblance to beavers. They rarely talked and were always building, but they were among the fiercest warriors in the galaxy in battle. No one could trespass on Kerchu territory without a fight, though the Smuggler claimed he was an exception to this rule (most likely due to his ability to sneak in useful technologies from across the galaxy). The Kerchu were also proficient in harvesting Gelatonium, and constructed the Underground Gelatonium Facility and the Sargasso Gelantoium Refinery. At some point, the Dimensionator fell into the Kerchu's hands. They hid it just outside the Kerchu Fortress, where it was guarded by the Kerchu Guardian.
Although it was said that everyone in the universe was allergic to Kerchu fur,  Ratchet did not seem affected by this when fighting them. Emperor Percival Tachyon also described the stench of a Kerchu as being similar to Blarg Dung.
Behind the scenes
During a livestream reveal of the Kerwan multiplayer map for Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Chad Dezern, the studio director, mentioned that the Kerchu from the Intergalactic Foot Soldier Pack was blue (multiplayer team color) as it had dyed its fur. He then revealed that for Kerchu it was encouraged that they dye their fur to match their team.
- A Kerchu prisoner could be seen in the Vartax Detention Facility in the second issue of the Ratchet & Clank comic series, Friends with Benefits. A space pirate also mentioned that he would hurt a pack of them later with Ratchet's wrench in this issue.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 2: Friends with Benefits
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (skin only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (statue and mentioned only)