- “ The Devastator is the perfect combination of effectiveness and economy. Less expensive than some of Gadgetron's other long range weapons, the Devastator can bring down flying enemies with ease. ”
- ―Help menu [R&C]
The PX6 Devastator, referred to simply as Devastator in the game, is a weapon manufactured by Gadgetron, featured in Ratchet & Clank (2002 game). It is a missile launcher and is relatively inexpensive. It is capable of easily destroying larger, armored enemies. Its missiles automatically target enemies and home in on them.
The Devastator is available when the player reaches planet Batalia, where it is available for 10,000 bolts at a vendor, or 7,500 bolts with the Persuader. It can be upgraded to the Gold Devastator for 60,000 bolts and 4 gold bolts.
The Devastator is a long, tube-like weapon which is dark-green and yellow-ish in color. It has a small, red scope at the very top, along with a couple red marks. The weapon also features a handle bar closer to the trigger on the left side, for Ratchet to hold it upright. The missiles it fires are small, white rockets with red marks on the end.
The Devastator's design is notable, as Ratchet holds the Devastator in the North American cover art for Ratchet & Clank.
The Devastator automatically targets enemies and marks them, then will fire a missile at the marked enemy on the screen. Its missiles have a small explosive area-of-effect, and deal a high amount of damage that destroy most enemies with a single hit. The Devastator's missiles do need to reach targets before they detonate and deal damage, but are guaranteed to hit, unless they are interrupted by crashing into an object - usually another enemy - beforehand. When upgraded to the Gold Devastator, it would home in faster on enemies, its blast radius increases, and it can rebound off enemies up to three times.
The Devastator is useful against any large enemy, as it will defeat most enemies in a single hit, making it useful against enemies players wish to defeat more quickly, or flying enemies such as Blarg Elite Guards. The typical exceptions are bosses and tougher enemies such as the Cannonball Tanks, although the Devastator is also particularly useful against both of these enemies, as it will defeat them faster and more easily than most weapons. Although the Devastator is outmatched by the Visibomb Gun in terms of damage output, its ammunition costs less than Visibomb ammunition, and it does not require the player to aim the missiles, meaning it is better in combat situations. However, the main issue with the weapon is that its ammunition is expensive, meaning players should be careful about overusing the weapon. Furthermore, it is a waste against smaller enemies, as smaller enemies can easily be defeated by weapons such as the Tesla Claw and Pyrocitor, which both have much cheaper ammunition.
The Gold Devastator missiles home in on targets better, bounced off enemies, and have a larger blast radius. However, it is heavily outclassed by the R.Y.N.O., which hits more targets, has missiles doing similar damage, and much cheaper ammunition. As such, players may opt to prioritize purchasing the R.Y.N.O. over the Gold Devastator in their second playthrough.
Behind the scenes
The Devastator was the first weapon to be revealed to the public when Ratchet & Clank was first announced, being the weapon Ratchet wielded in a promotional image that later became the basis for the US cover, as well as a wallpaper.
Early in development, if Ratchet stood near a Devastator shot, it would hurt him as well.
The Devastator was featured in a weapons testing commercial for the game. A group of teenagers attempted to fire a Devastator rocket at a target in the middle of a courtyard, but missed. It instead blasted through a tree and blew up somebody's yacht. The teenagers then began to flee.
- "Devastator! Launch guided MISSILES at the bad guys." - Gadgetron Vendor
- "The Devastator is the perfect combination of effectiveness and economy. Less expensive than some of Gadgetron's other long range weapons, the Devastator can bring down flying enemies with ease." - Help Menu (Start Menu) (Normal)
- "Try the Devastator's new Auto-Lockon feature! Hold down L1, and the Lockon reticule will turn green when a target is acquired. Once locked on, the Devastator missiles will automatically seek moving targets." - Help Menu (Start Menu) (Gold)
- "When we at Gadgetron set out to create a Gold Devastator, we were at a temporary loss. How does one improve on perfection? And then our engineering staff developed a new targeting technology which enables each missile to hit multiple targets and do even MORE damage! Go ahead… fire a few shots and enjoy the show!" - Help Menu Description (Gold Devastator)