- “ Play as DJ Bunky, the greatest UFO tracker, ghost hunter, cat trapeze trainer, and character builder in the known universe! ”
- ―Description for the Dan Johnson skin in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. [ToD]
Dan Johnson (1974 - December 2006) was a former Insomniac Games employee and level designer who worked with the company for many years. As an inside joke, Insomniac Games (almost) always hid cameos of Dan in their games, starting with Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (and still do). Dan left Insomniac Games and moved to High Impact Games along with many other Insomniac Games employees.
During his life, Dan has had difficuties with his leg. He died on December 3, 2006, during the production of Size Matters. The game has a memorial to him, and can be found after the ending credits.
References to Dan Johnson in the Ratchet & Clank series
- Ratchet & Clank (2002 game): He appeared on one of the monitors at the edge of the landing area of the BTS Station. Other Insomniac employees could also be found on them. He was also seen on Pokitaru, where all starfish scattered on the beach showed his image.
- Ratchet & Clank (2002 game) : His face is textured on the inside the purple mushrooms that are commonly found growing on the side of trees in Metropolis.
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando: His face was on the Snow Dan Snowman on Siberius. Smashing the Snow Dan results in a skill point. Also, in the Insomniac Museum, he was found as a floating face shot outside, on the opposite side of the Grav-Ramp tower. His name was also featured in binary code on one of the signs at Notak He was also seen on some cereal boxes in Allgon City. Also, when the thrash cans at Endako we're smashed, the name DAN would lay on the soda cans that come out it. (This can't be seen in HD collection, as they fall through the ground.)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal: Similarly to Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, his location was a breakable Snowman found in Qwark's Hideout, for a skill point. His face scattered on the pictures in the Insomniac Museum. He was also a multiplayer skin unlockable by going to the Insomniac website and acquiring a code unique for each username, which was then entered in-game online.
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters: He was an unlockable Multiplayer Skin. He also had a sort of a "memorial" to him, which is featured in the end credits. He was also seen on one of the computers at the Treehouse (the one with the concept art of Luna on it) at the end, where his face appeared as a cartoon.
- Secret Agent Clank: Once again, he was an unlockable skin but purchased with 3 titanium bolts.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction: An unlockable skin, purchased with 6 gold bolts. He was also mentioned in the end credits.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty: He was hidden in the far end of a cave in the Hoolefar Bay. After blowing down some gates, he could be found at the far end of a ledge as an action figure in its packaging.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time: He was yet again an unlockable skin and could be unlocked for 24 Gold Bolts. And he could also be seen in the Insomniac Museum, staring into space.
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One: He was once more a skin that could be unlocked by Ratchet only, with 40 Hero Bolts.
- In Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault he is a playable skin for the online multiplayer.
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus he can be found hidden in the museum on the Planet Igliak, by going through a ventilation shaft located in one of the rooms. He has his own museum entry, which states that he came from Planet Earth, made Techno music, and owned cats.
- In Ratchet & Clank (PS4) he is available as a mask Ratchet can wear. There is also a Dan Johnson snowman which can be found on planet Batalia on a small island just east of the anti air gun turret, unlike previous Dan Johnson snowmen this one can't be destroyed.
- In Ratchet & Clank (movie) he briefly appears when Clank is trying to identify Ratchet's race.