The Blargian snagglebeast was a monstrous creature which was often used in executions. Thickly armored and with claws as sharp as daggers, it was a Snagglebeast which Qwark attempted to kill Ratchet and Clank with.
The creature looked somewhat similar to Qwark and Drek. It had the same chin, face, and antennae as Qwark. It was unlikely it was the same species as Qwark, but he was probably giving these looks for the sake of Captain Qwark. It was also possible that it was not from Umbris, as it had the word 'Blargian' in its name, possibly stating it may be from Orxon, which explains the slight resemblance in the face and eyes of Drek.
Its gauntlets and other technology gained it powerful fire abilities, capable of launching fire balls from its hands, fiery waves from its ft and beams from the antennae. Ironically, it was weak to molten lava.
There appeared to be types of Snagglebeast other than Blargian, as the advert for My Blaster Runs Hot had one citizen saying, "I thought Qwark was a myth, like the abominable Snagglebeast of Zanifar."
The Blargian snagglebeast, according to Qwark, his pet. He used the creature as part of some of his commercials filling the role of a savage and frightening monster that he would be fighting off, such as for the case with Big Al's Roboshack and Gaming Superstore. Qwark kept the creature underneath his heavily fortified training course on Umbris and lured Ratchet and Clank to its lair to finish them off. Ratchet was able to use the surrounding lava to drown and roast the beast killing it.
Defeating the Snagglebeast was simple. Ratchet had to attack it with any weapon until a red shield appeared around it. It would begin to run toward the duo and had to be led over one of the black bridges in the battle room. It would then break the bridge then fall into the lava. This process had to be executed three times to defeat it.
- Judging by its size in comparison to Qwark and Ratchet, it appeared to be the same size as Giant Clank.
- According to the rules of Galactic Chess, a Blargian snagglebeast has an allergic reaction to Mutant Swamp Flies which lasts two turns. This allergic reaction to swamp flies may also be true for real Blargian snagglebeasts.
- The music for "Umbris 2", the Blargian snagglebeast's boss theme from Ratchet & Clank, has been reused in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal for the theme music of planet Zeldrin, and sounds remotely similar to the music used in this fight.
- In the re-imagining, its shape and attacks largely resemble the War Grok from A Crack In Time.
Behind the scenes
- In Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, the Legend difficulty is described as having made a Blargian snagglebeast shed a tear and then shove it back in its eye.
- Ratchet & Clank (2002 game) (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (re-imagined Blargian snagglebeast)