Qwark visited the city to "present" the grand prize for the Intergalactic Hoverboard Championship. Ratchet and Clank came to the city to win the Hoverboard race in the hopes of meeting Qwark himself - notably, the city was infested with Amoeboids due to Nefarious having ordered an attack on the city. The City Administration; however, ensured Darla Gratch in a news report, that the invasion was to be dealt with. Shady Salesman Billy once lurked downtown in the City, trying to sell a stolen R.Y.N.O., although he had since relocated elsewhere.
The city was attacked by Tyhrranoids two years after Ratchet and Clank's first visit, although Ratchet and the Galactic Rangers were able to stop the attack and liberate the city. Blackwater City was very similar to Canal City.
The Blackwater City Administration was the ruling body of the Blackwater Region on planet Rilgar. They brought in ExtermiBots and Extermitanks to eradicate the roaming Amoeboids during the Amoeboid's attack in 5354
Inside the city there was a large Hoverboard track, and on the outskirts of the city there were swamps, one of which contained the secret laboratory of Dr. Nefarious. The city had at least one Galaxy Burger. Other than the primary city itself, there were also docks referred to as Blackwater Docks.
Blackwater City is a multiplayer map in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. It is one of the average-sized multiplayer maps in Up Your Arsenal and supports all game modes. The map also appears in the single player of Up Your Arsenal.
Blackwater City is a symmetrical map designed for siege with plenty of platforms and open spaces for combat between the bases. The bases are facing opposite of each other divided by a bridge in the center with defensive turrets on both sides of the bridge. The map is surrounded by a dark deadly liquid, serving as the bounds of the map. Like in all maps designed for siege, the flags spawn at the base teleporters in Capture the Flag mode. The map doesn't contain any vehicles.
Blackwater City has four identical nodes in the corners of the map. They're located above other terrain on platforms next to the bases. They're guarded by four turrets and two troopers and spawn two weapon crates when captured. The nodes can be accessed from walkways covered with grav-ramps or from an adjacent node via Hypershot.
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
Parts of the original Blackwater City from the PS2 game are hidden on Rilgar, like the landing pad, coral, and Taxi signs. They can only be accessed through a glitch that allows you to swim through the air. Since they are in the distance they can also be seen by using a weapon like the Plasma Striker.
Behind the scenes
- The name may have been wordplay on "Backwater City."
- It seemed as if it was an exclusive 'celeb-city', due to the massive amounts of skyscrapers and civilized security.
- It was one of the two levels playable on the demo disc of Ratchet & Clank, the other being Metropolis.
- In the demo of the first game, a secret area filled with ameboids was found in in the flooding sewer section of Blackwater city that was not in the final game. This secret area was instead relocated to Novalis in the final release, the reasoning behind this change is unknown.
- Ratchet & Clank
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet: Deadlocked
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (Easter egg only)