- “ Hey, hey, hey! You could've taken someone's eye out with those things! ”
- ―Qwark, at the Imperial Fight Festival after Ratchet firing the Buzz Blades [ToD]
- “ Buzz Blades are perfect for taking out hordes of enemies. Just hold down the trigger to fire the blades and watch as they ricochet off everything they come into contact with. Before you know it, you will be the last Lombax standing. Buzz Blades. Available only at GrummelNet! ”
- ―GrummelNet preview [ACiT]
Buzz Blades is a weapon manufactured by Grummel Net Industries (engineered by a gang of rogue Kerchu carpenters) in Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, Full Frontal Assault and Before the Nexus. It fires lethal saw blades that ricochet off enemies and surfaces, hitting enemies multiple times.
In Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, Buzz Blades can be upgraded to the Doom Blades with use, which fires blades soaked in a high molarity, raritanium piercing hydro-chloric biocidic acid that continue to damage enemies after the blades had found their mark. In challenge mode, the Omega Doom Blades upgrade can be purchased.
Tools of Destruction
Buzz Blades can be purchased from a GrummelNet weapons vendor for 40,000 bolts upon reaching Ardolis. Raritanium upgrades can be purchased for the weapon, including the special Cesium Blade Edges upgrade, which caused saw blades to embed themselves in walls or enemies when they could no longer ricochet and then explode.
The Buzz Blades could be upgraded to the Doom Blades with use. In challenge mode, they could be upgraded to the Omega Doom Blades for 8,000,000 bolts.
A Crack in Time
Buzz Blades could be purchased upon reaching Vorselon's Warship in the Korthos Sector for 30,000 bolts. If the player owned a Tools of Destruction save file, it would be discounted to 24,000 bolts instead. The Buzz Blades functioned roughly identically, although it had less ammo and no raritanium upgrades.
The Buzz Blades similarly could be upgraded to the Doom Blades with use, and upgraded to the Omega Doom Blades in challenge mode for 416,000 bolts (or the discounted price of 312,000 if the player owned a Tools of Destruction save file).
Full Frontal Assault
Buzz Blades were available in Full Frontal Assault, but with a much lower rate of fire, and could be found inside weapon pods. It could be upgraded to the Alpha Buzz Blades with use.
Buzz Blades is a small, red and black pistol. It has two blue nozzles from which it fires its saw blades at enemies. The Doom Blades upgrade is a much longer and bulkier weapon, with longer saw blade nozzles and a left-hand grip. In Tools of Destruction, Ratchet held it with two hands, though he held it as a pistol in A Crack in Time.
Buzz Blades fire saw blades that ricochet between enemies and walls multiple times until they stop. It can therefore have devastating effects in small, enclosed spaces with many enemies for the saw blades to bounce between. While it can still be useful against bosses or single enemies as a rapid fire weapon dealing decent damage, the saw blades will ricochet more often against walls than against enemies, making it less efficient. This makes it by far most useful against enemies clumped together, and the more enemies there are in an area, the more effective it will be.
In both Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, the Buzz Blades can upgrade to the Doom Blades, which leave acid behind damaging enemies over time even after the blades have hit them. This upgrade is a pure damage boost and furthers its use as a weapon to be used against multiple enemies, as its blades can apply the effect to all of them. In Tools of Destruction, it can be given raritanium upgrades such as more ammo, more ricochets, more damage and more bolts. As more ricochets plays best to the strength of the weapon, players may choose to prioritize this, though damage and ammo are naturally very useful. Its special upgrade, the Cesium Blade Edges, causes blades that have finished ricocheting to embed into the final enemy or wall they land on and explode. This adds more damage to the weapon, and particularly makes it useful against small clumps of enemies.
Behind the scenes
- The saw blades in Tools of Destruction glowed blue and had blue sparkle trails, but the blades in A Crack in Time did not glow, and had yellow trails.
- In Tools of Destruction the ammo for the Buzz Blades were called "Buzz Blades saws" or "Doom Blades saws," depending on whether the weapon was at V5. In A Crack in Time the ammo was called "Buzz Blades," regardless of whether the weapon was at V5 or not.
- “ It slices, it dices - it sends super-sharp razor blades towards unsuspecting foes at dizzying speeds. These razor blades can also bounce off objects before finding their intended target ”
- ―Survival Guide Weapon Description [ToD]
- “ Fires high-velocity rounds of lethal blades, designed to ricochet off any surface. ”
- ―Instruction Manual Weapon Description [ACiT]
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
- Ratchet & Clank: Before the Nexus
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Ratchet & Clank (2016 game) (re-imagined Buzz Blades)
- Ratchet & Clank (2016 movie) (re-imagined Buzz Blades) 
Notes and references
- ↑ A Crack in Time description